Friday, July 11, 2014

Flower of the month: garden roses

First, I can't believe it's already July! 2014 is flying by!

This month, let's celebrate roses, one of my favorite flowers to arrange with and arguably the most popular flower of all time. There are hundreds of types of roses in so many colors. They traditionally thought to have a beautiful scent, but unfortunately, most varieties available these days for commercial purposes have no scent at all (to lengthen vase life). If you like your roses to have that sweet fragrance, I recommend purchasing garden roses (sometimes referred to as cabbage roses or old-fashioned roses).

As for purchasing roses at the grocery store or at the flower market, I look for outer petals that are beginning to unfold and check to see if the middle of the rose is slightly firm to the touch, with a closed swirl of petals. Then when I get home, I condition them immediately to maximize their life. I cut the stem at a sharp angle, remove thorns and any leaves with will be below the water level, dip the stem in Quick Dip and then immediately, place in a bucket of stem with tepid, clean water.


One of the most beautiful, peaceful space in downtown Evanston--Merrick Rose Garden:






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...