Saturday, August 9, 2014

Flower of the Month: Dahlia

For August, let's talk about dahlias, which are, in my opinion, truly works of art! The dahlia comes in lots of varieties, sizes (from small, ball types to dinner-plate types) and colors (red, white, yellow, orange, burgundy and fuchsia). Because of their tremendous beauty, just a single stem in a small vase looks spectacular. I also have a soft spot for this flower because as previously mentioned, I started learning floral design last summer. As they start to bloom here during the middle to late summer, I practiced a lot with making floral arrangements using dahlias, which were plentiful at the local farmers' market when I was initially learning how to design.

Some tips I've learned about buying and arranging with them:
1. They start to wilt from the outer petals toward the center, so I check the back of the flowers for freshness.

2. They wilt easily. It helps to get rid of foliage to make them last longer.

3. Unfortunately, vase life is around 5 days.

Here are dahlia photos from my visit last week to the Biltmore House, the awe-inspiring family home built by George and Edith Vanderbilt. What a spectacular place! I highly recommend a visit if you are ever near Asheville, NC area. It was mind-blowing to walk around the garden, and this time of the year, the dahlias were showing off.





check out the bees on the above picture

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...