Monday, May 26, 2014

Florist tips and tricks


Learning new floral design tips and tricks is the best. I love attending design workshops, reading floral design books and asking other floral designers for their trade secrets. In my new “Tips and Tricks” series, I’ll be writing about some effective tricks of the trade that I have learned. And if you have an even better technique than what I am showcasing, please leave me a comment!

From left to right:
1. Lazy Susans are helpful when preparing a multi-sided flower arrangement. Place the arrangement on the Lazy Susan and easily spin it around to ensure all sides of the arrangement are perfect.

2. When working with a shallow and/or wide vase, it's a challenge to get your flowers to stay put where you want them. But making a grid using waterproof floral tape makes it very easy.

3. Lilies are quite beautiful, but the yellow pollen contained in their anthers can stain surfaces, clothes and skin. Plus, their presence means a shorter life for the blooms if the pollen gets on the flower petals. To ensure that your lilies remain fresh for a longer period of time, carefully remove the pollen from each of the stamens.

1 comment:

  1. My wife loves doing the same things, Lovely. She loves floral design and does whatever she can. She's attended multiple workshops and read tons of books, like you. Unfortunately I'm not nearly as graceful or creative as she is. I'm looking to get a really nice bouquet of flowers for her for Mother's Day, but I probably won't be able to do it myself. Hopefully I can find a good florist soon to help me out. Thanks for the post, Lovely! http://www.authenticfloraldesign.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...